jump to navigation

Fingers Lost in Art Class Tragedy 2009-10-12

Posted by clype in Health, Humanities.
Tags: , , , , , , ,
trackback

Giles Visual Arts School has been ordered to pay 19 000 GBP after a 16-year-old girl lost most of her fingers when she put her hands in a bucket of ‘plaster of Paris’ during a school art lesson.

The teenager was attempting to make a sculpture of her own hands during a lesson in 2007-01 when the horrific accident happened, Boston Magistrates’ Court in Lincolnshire was told.

The plaster set around her hands and neither staff nor paramedics could get it off during the lesson at Giles School, in Boston.

The court was told that temperatures up to 60C can be generated in large quantities of plaster and the girl, who was referred to in court only as student X, suffered terrible burns.

  • Plastic surgeons did what they could to help her but after a series of 12 operations she was left with no fingers on one hand and just two on the other.

The foundation school’s governing body admitted breaching health and safety regulations and also failing to report the incident to The Health and Safety Executive (The HSE).

The court was told that The HSE was never informed by the school about what happened. It only found out six weeks after the incident from the girl’s plastic surgeon.

The school was fined a total of 16 500 GBP and ordered to pay 2 500 GBP in costs.

Advertisements

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: